dimanche, novembre 28, 2004

hivernal et estival...

In today's class we learnt two interesting words.
hivernal (from hiver = winter) and
estival (from été = summer)

Suddenly, the connection occured to me (and trust me, I was SO excited!).

You've heard of hibernation. A few years ago, I was most delighted when I came across the word estivation. Estivation is a state of dormancy similar to hibernation. Animals that estivate spend a summer inactive and insulated against heat, to prevent the harmful effects of the season.

Eureka!!!
hivernal and hibernation, estival and estivation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Usha said...

and remember the verb "eviter" - to avoid? In English, We use only the opposite inevitable but not the evit Part!!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Harish said...

I think this blog's a good idea. Good work!

10:26 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home